I feel very behind in the blogging world. I opened my Google reader to find over 200 new items and I haven’t posted much in at least a week. The biggest thing I’ve failed to do is set my goals as part of the Blog Improvement Project.
After only a little bit of thought, I’ve decided my goals are going to be:
- Put more thought into my posts. I tend to just write and minimally edit, rather than actually craft something that will be fully worth reading. In practice, this will mean writing posts in advance and coming back to edit them and improve them before I actually post.
- Set aside more time to read. I always feel like I don’t have time to read. Growing up, my brother and I learned how to watch tv as if we were just stopping through or pausing on our way to do something more productive (my parents could always find jobs for us if we needed something to do), but its impossible to do that when reading. I always feel like sitting and reading is a luxury for when I’ve done everything else I need to do, but I want to set aside time in my day to read without feeling guilty.
- Really read (instead of browse) other blogs and respond to at least one per day. In other words, participate more. Dewey made this easy and I’m really missing her unifying presence, but this year I am going to make more of an effort.
- Blog even when I don’t have a book to talk about. This blog is about books, and I want to stay focused on that, but I can also include a little bit more about my life as well. I’m approaching a turning point in my life that, to be truly honest, has me terrified. To be more active, I will do memes and create a schedule of posting to talk about my reading as I go, instead of only when I’m done.
- I will read with an index card for a bookmark. I did this by accident and discovered how useful it is! I hate writing in my books and I never read in the same place, so having a notebook isn’t all that helpful either. Using my bookmark to take notes seems so obvious, but I didn’t think of it until just recently.
Any other suggestions? I still feel like a blogging baby so I love advice to improve my blog. I don’t really write for other people or to hear myself talk, but I also don’t want to be talking to myself on here! I love the whole blogging community, which in the past five months has been a truly surprising aspect of blogging I was not prepared for.
I also need to decide whether I want to share this blog with my family and friends. Right now, they don’t know I have this site and I don’t know what is holding me back from telling them. I don’t hide when I’m posting or doing something for the blog, but I also have not pointed it out to them. What do you think? Do you share your blog with family and friends or do you keep your two worlds separate?